Friday 27 October 2023

Night

 Describe at least one important technique used in the text. Explain how the technique created an emotional response in you.

In the Holocaust memoir 'Night' by Elie Wiesel, three events that impacted me emotionally were The first night in camp when Elie saw children being thrown in flames, the crematorium and the death march. The writer uses a range of language features including repetition, metaphors and direct speech.


The poem "never shall I forget" was written on the first night in the constriction camp. He uses one very distinctive language feature which is repetition. In this pose poem he repeats the line "never shall I forget" seven times. The way the words "Never shall I forget" shows the impact that the Nazis had on the Jewish people. It made me feel sick and thankful that I am able to be alive. I feel like the poem had many affects on Jewish people and how they can relate to the words "Never shall I forget". The way Elie repeated " never shall I forget" embedded in my mind. The first night in the new normal" was probably the hardest.


Another event that affected me was when the Jews were heading towards the crematorium. 

A quote from the book " poor devils, you are heading to the crematorium" shows how no one thought about the Jews and tried to stop the wrongdoings from the Nazis. The quote affected me emotionally because they were so close to death and they didn't know. I can not imagine the thoughts going through their mind and not knowing if they are going to live.


"faster you tramps, you flea-ridden dogs!" reading this made me sick and tears formed in my eyes. Having to listen to people calling you names, discouraging you and making you feel worthless will definitely have an affect on how you see others and your visions on the world. If it were me I would feel unwanted, rejected from society, inhumane and not accepted.


The author used multiple different language features including repetition, metaphors and direct speech. Elie Wiesel showed me that using these language features in a way that describes what he went through. The way Jewish People were treated and slaughtered is tragic. The things they saw and how it affected them and their lives was soul destroying. Having to write and talk about a traumatic experience, having to live through all the bad memories that happened between 1933 and 1945. The book really opened my eyes and taught me lot about the holocaust. The thought of people being murdered by other humans makes me feel sick.The world has changed so much since the Holocaust and I pray nothing like this happens again.

No comments:

Post a Comment